Thursday, February 7, 2013

Redneck one day; Blue blood the next

Yesterday, I went with my sons to Wal-Mart to buy gun ammo. Patrick left J there on the way home from school; then came home and got me to go back with him so they could get their bullets; (you must be 18 or 21). I hate Wal-Mart. When we got there, I was very embarrassed to find my 14 year-old boy draped over a shopping cart full of bullets or bird shot or whatever it was. He didn't want anyone else to get them. But the icing on the cake was when my platinum Visa got turned down at the check-out. There was a huge line behind me, and the cashier had earlier screwed up because I paid partially with a wad of cash J gave me. Luckily I had a debit card and the transaction was completed. When I got home, there was a message on my answering machine from "Fraud Prevention Services" at the credit card company. A hold had been placed on the card account because of suspicious activity. The “suspicious activity” was my $10 purchase of vitamins on-line earlier in the day. Why?

Today, I had take M to the cemetery and help him do gravestone rubbings - entirely inappropriate on an emotional level for a third grader's school project, but no one asked me. He wanted to see where his great-grandparents and great aunt were buried, so we went to Christ Church cemetery, which used to be extremely creepy when I was young. It was not in "perpetual care" in the 1980's, and I begged my parents not to put my brother there. For some reason they listened and put him in the fake-flower cemetery instead. I can never find my grandparents' graves; my aunt is next to them. I was there 5 weeks ago and again 2 weeks ago, but we wandered about for 20 minutes in the rain. We put a sheet of paper over the headstone of a person I didn't know and used him/her for the "project." It still gave me the chills.

No comments:

Post a Comment